Best Countertop Oven Reviews: Good Convection Oven for Your Kitchen
Are you fed up with eating fried food? Well, why don’t you try baking? Baking is an excellent alternative to frying. Not only is it healthier, it’s also more versatile in terms of the kind of recipes that you can create.
Baked food, because less heat is able to escape, brings out the natural juices in meat and spices giving you the most flavorful food there is. The juices that you get in frying is primarily from the oil which is not healthy nor tasty at all. For this reason, I have decided to get myself a countertop oven that I can use on the daily basis.
For this quest, I decided to review seven of what I consider the best countertop ovens in the market today. Included in this review are the opinions of those who have previously used the ovens and other reviewers who have personal knowledge of these items from their own kitchens. And since you can’t separate the reviewer from the review, also embedded in this review are my own personal experience with these items as well.
If you’re thinking about buying your own countertop convection oven, join me in this review. This is intended to help your buying decision and avoid having to go through different brands only to find the proverbial needle in a haystack.
||Oster Large Capacity Countertop 6-Slice Digital Convection||
||Black+Decker CTO6335S Countertop Convection Toaster Oven||
||Breville BOV800XL Smart Oven 1800-Watt Convection Toaster Oven||
||Breville BOV450XL Mini Smart Oven||
||Panasonic NB-G110P Flash Xpress Toaster Oven||
||Cuisinart TOB 260 N1 Chef’s Convection Toaster Oven||
||Cuisinart TOB-195 Exact Heat Toaster Oven Broiler||
Things to Consider When Buying a Countertop Oven
The Brands– While there are hundreds of brands out there competing for your buck, there are only a few that you can trust. In this review, I only include brands that are trustworthy and have stood the test of time. But even with these brands, there are still things that you need to bear in mind when choosing your oven.
Although price is on top of my list, these three are also of primary importance—counter space, oven size and function.
Counter Space– We all live in limited spaces nowadays. Gone are the days of our forebears where they have all the space in the world and kitchen is just a minor chunk of it. For most of us, the kitchen is just the countertop and the dining area and the living room at the same place.
This means that the counter space is a huge consideration when buying a kitchen appliance. While kitchen appliances these days are becoming more and more compact, there are still those who design things like they have the luxury of space. When an appliance like an oven takes up more counter space than I’m willing to sacrifice, I’ll just scratch it off my list.
I usually try to measure the counter space that I’m willing to give an oven and base what I will purchase from there. Since there are a lot of brands to choose from, I don’t usually move an inch from my limit. If the oven doesn’t fit, I just move along.
Size of Oven– Closely related to the counter space is the size of the oven itself. What good is an oven that fits if it’s not big enough for the food that you’d like to cook? There are a lot of ovens these days and some are designed for specific types of food. Some are designed for small ones like fajitas and cookies, while others have an adjustable tray that allows you to cook an entire chicken. It is best to consider what type of food you’re likely to cook before deciding to buy an oven.
As far as oven features are concerned, what you need actually depends on what you will use it for. The standard convection oven available in the market today have features for baking, toasting, broiling and heating and much more. What this means is, when you choose an oven, make sure to consider what you will need it for.
My Top 7 Countertop Ovens Reviews
Like I have said, coming up with these 7 countertop convection oven was based on what are the trusted brands in the market today. On top of that, qualities like counter space, oven size, functions and the price are also taken into consideration. Here are my top 7 countertop convection ovens:
1. Oster Large Capacity Countertop 6-Slice Digital Convection
Baking, broiling and roasting all sorts of food is well within its alley because it has a high-temperature range of 150 to 450 Fahrenheit.Its reliable convection technology makes it the fastest cooking oven in this review. The digital controls make it the friendliest machine to operate.
If you are looking at huge preparations, frequent visits from friends and family, this is the oven to pick. Although this oven will also not shy away from daily cooking ordeals. With this kind of oven, you would expect to pay a premium, but think again, it’s really affordable.
- Highly versatile, it can be used for broiling, baking and roasting
- Space age design makes it a sleek choice for the modern kitchen
- Really fast when it comes to baking
- High temperature range makes it ideal for a variety of recipes
- Unbeatable price
- Easy to clean
- Tends to retain odor inside
- A bit too big for smaller kitchens
2. Black+Decker CTO6335S Countertop Convection Toaster Oven
Another reliable product from Black and Decker, this oven can cook all types of food you throw its way because its unique convection technology ensures that heat is evenly distributed inside the oven. Its rack position gives more versatility when cooking because you can position food differently to maximize space.
With its really affordable price, you would think that you’d get less features, but no. It comes with pre-programmed functions and digital control making it the friendliest oven to use. All you need to do to thaw frozen food, cook pizza, bread, potatoes and cookies, broil or bake is just to push a single button.
- Digital screen makes it easy to operate
- Comes with a crumb tray for easy removal of food debris
- Unbeatable price
- Easy to clean
- Unbeatable versatility, you can use it for broiling and baking
- Pre-programmed functions add to its user friendliness
- Crumb tray tends to corrode over time
- Even with convection function turned on, it still tends to have cold spots
3. Breville BOV800XL Smart Oven 1800-Watt Convection Toaster Oven
This really nice convection oven comes with a hefty price tag. This is probably the most expensive oven in this review but if you don’t mind spending a couple of hundred dollars for a convection oven, you will be rewarded with some awesome features.
Its preset features allow you to broil, toast, reheat, roast, warm, and bake food with just one press of a button. For most of us who are always in a hurry, this is really a life-saver. This machine comes in a very sleek silver color and a very attractive form factor that saves space. All these aesthetics is backed by a backlit LCD display that makes operation easy.
- Comes with 1-year warranty for parts and labor
- Sleek design and durable too
- 9 pre-programmed functions makes it highly versatile and easy to use
- Highly legible backlit LCD display
- Performs equally well compared to cheaper alternatives
- The price is prohibitive
- Slightly difficult to clean
4. Breville BOV450XL Mini Smart Oven
This oven is also ideal for really limited counter space. Its small form factor of 15.5x14x8.75-inches easily fits small countertops, you don’t have to sacrifice a lot of kitchen space. This smart oven comes with the Breville’s own Element IQ technology, 3 rack position and 4-slice capacity interior. Don’t let its small form factor fool you, this oven is a highly versatile cooking machine.
- Space saving
- Several rack position makes it highly versatile
- Comes with smart Element IQ technology
- 8 pre-programmed functions make it user-friendly
- Not ideal for cooking huge pieces of food
- A bit difficult to clean due to small form factor
5. Panasonic NB-G110P Flash Xpress Toaster Oven
With its automatic cook time function, you can set it to cook at autopilot with certain foods. It’s easy to use control panel packs 6-menu presets making it highly versatile and easy to use. With its compact design, you don’t have to worry about it taking too much space in your kitchen. To top it off, it’s non-stick interior makes it so easy to clean.
- Space saving ideal for smaller kitchens
- Comes with 6-presets for easy operations
- Designed for small batches of food
- Too small for larger food preparations
- A little bit expensive for a small oven
6. Cuisinart TOB 260 N1 Chef’s Convection Toaster Oven
If you plan to cook an entire chicken with it, it well prepared for the task. Its 15 cooking functions which include the innovative dual cook and speed convection makes this the most versatile of the ovens reviewed. Heating power of 1800 Watts equates to short heat up and cooking time.
If you worry about cleaning your oven, worry no more because it’s non-stick interior makes this oven so easy to clean. If you don’t mind spending a bit, this product from Cuisinart is a good value for money.
- Premium product
- Best for huge preparations
- Multiple rack positions to save space
- Well constructed
- Too pricey
- Cheaper products deliver similar results
- A bit too big for smaller countertops
7. Cuisinart TOB-195 Exact Heat Toaster Oven Broiler
This 6-slice convection oven comes in a 0.6-cubic-foot form factor which makes it ideal for smaller countertop. It comes with presets for broil, toast, bagel, reheat, defrost, and convection buttons. You will love its electronic touchpad controls, its timers will allow you to cook in autopilot. Its non-stick interior makes it so easy to clean.
- Good alternative for the more expensive Cuisinart products
- Premium quality typical of Cuisinart
- Well constructed
- The pan corrodes
- The timer sometimes fail to cut off the heat