How does it feel when the food stick to the frying pan? I know the frustration and I believe all chefs can relate to it. If you don’t have a decent non-stick pan, you are doomed to ruin your cooking. By decent, I mean one that really works.
There are a lot of “non-stick” pans out there that are anything but non-sticking. There are those that work for a little while until the Teflon coating get scratched. And did I mention that Teflon is a kind of plastic? There is actually an ongoing debate if this is a healthy thing to get close to your food.
It’s because of this that copper infused, non-stick coating and also PFOA and PTFE free frying pans like the Red Copper Pan are made. This piece of cookware is oven safe up to temperatures as high as 500 degrees Fahrenheit. It is guaranteed to remain scratch-free regardless of whatever use or abuse you throw at it.
What is a Red Copper Pan?
The Red Copper pan combines the toughness of copper with the non-sticking capabilities of non-stick ceramic. Together you have a pan that is tough because of its copper infused durability and the ability to just allow food to slide for easy removal.
Why it might sound like a lofty claim, the manufacturer of Red Copper pan claims that this pan defies scratches. From my own experience, the thicker the ceramic coating, the more durable the pan is. While I haven’t seen anything that is really scratch proof, it does take a long time to scratch the ceramic when its thick enough and in the case of the Red Copper, it is really thick.
1. Does it really work?
The use of copper in cooking is a tried and true tradition. While copper infused cookware just took air wave frenzy, the use of copper-based cookwares came a long way back. It is known to have excellent heat conductivity, and those who understand hot spots know how important this is.
To have better temperature control while cooking is something every cook worth his salt is looking for.In terms of weight, copper based cookware are heavy enough to be durable and light enough to handle. On top of that, copper based cookware are aesthetically pleasing and can be part of an all around kitchen decor.
2. Is it safe?
While regular copper pans are not dishwasher-safe the Red Copper pan is. This is because the bottom of the pan is not made of copper but only the inner cooking surface.On top of this, the pan is known to be PFOA and PTFE free. This means that no harmful chemicals get to your food even when it’s cooking at high temperature.
The typical non-stick pan on the other hand is coated with Teflon. While it works for the most part, Teflon is plastic and can melt at high temperature. This means that some plastic particles get to your food while it cooks. Another thing that worries me about Teflon is that it scratches over time and you can easily see deduce that you might have ingested some of its particles.
Pro Tip: How to Effectively Use the Red Copper Pan
Just like any kitchen ware, there’s a need for additional know how in order to make it work at its optimum best. You need to season your Read Copper pan in order for it to cook reliably. Here are the steps:
- Wash the pan with warm water and dishwashing soap before you start the seasoning process. Make sure to avoid scrubbing because this can cause some abrasion in the surface of the pan which can eventually lead to scratching. Just use soft cloth and gently lather it with the soap. Rinse out the pan, dry it completely and make sure no amount of soap is left. This process removes all the harmful chemical which might be present in the pan especially if this is just taken out of the packaging.
- Add a tablespoon of vegetable oil. Spread the oil with a paper tower on the surface of the pan. Include the bottom and the sides of the pan. Make sure to use a kind of oil that doesn’t heat up quickly because this could burn and reduce the effectivity of the seasoning process.
- For the final step, you have two choices: to use the stove top or the oven. If you follow the oven way, make sure to preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. When the oven is fully preheated, put the pan inside for 20 minutes. After that, using a mitt, remove the pan from the oven. If you follow the stovetop route, turn the stove to medium heat. Place the pan on top of the stove until it begins to smoke. You can also heat the pan first before putting in the oil.
- At this point, you need to allow the pan to cool so you can dry it with all the oil that it may have. Doing this will ensure that all the pits that may exist in the pan are evened out by the oil. These pits are so small you can’t see them with the naked eyes.When the pan is cool enough, wipe it with a paper towel to remove all excess oil. At this point, the pan is totally seasoned and ready for use. Make sure to season your pan your pan twice a year so its effectiveness is maintained. If you can repeat this process every month, so much the better.
Last update on 2017-10-16 PST - Details
My Top 5 Red Copper Pan Picks
To simplify your buying options, I will give you a list of what I trust to be the best Red Copper pans in the market today. Some of these come in sets while others are a single piece pan. Although I will give my best choice in this review, your choice will depend solely on you needs. If you don’t need a set, then don’t buy a set. After all, what will you do with the rest of the stuff that comes with it?
Red Copper Non-Stick Ceramic Cookware Set 10 Pc
Professional chefs and kitchen afficionados love the Red Copper Non-Stick Ceramic Cookware Set 10 Pc. The set comes with 2.5-quart saucepan with lid, 1.5-quart saucepan, 6-quart saucepan with lid, 8-inch frying pan, 10-inch frying pan with lid, and steamer insert.
There is no doubt that the popularity of this set comes from its flexibility. You could easily replace most of the cookware that you have in your kitchen with this set, and in my book, that is a must have.The non-stick ceramic surface allows you to cook without the need of oil or butter because there is just no way for the meat to glue on the pan. Its highly resilient surface makes it almost impossible to scratch the surface of this pan.
The best way to preserve this pan set for the long haul would be to wash it with warm water and mild soap. But if this is too much for you, it is also safe to wash this set in a dishwasher.
Compared to other non-stick pans, this set is 100% free from PFOA and PTFE. So aside from the fact that you don’t need oil to use this pan, you are also ensured that no harmful chemicals get to your food.
- Safe to use in the oven
- Flexible and multi-functional
- Lifetime replacement guarantee
- Food does stick in some rare instances
Red Copper Non-Stick Square Ceramic Cookware 5 Piece Set
If you don’t want 10 pieces in your Red Copper pan set, you can opt for the BulbHead 5-piece set. The 5-piece set includes Red Copper Square Pan, tempered glass lid, square frying basket, steamer rack, and recipe guide which has a lot of recipes to experiment on.
The pan is oven safe and it opens a lot of cooking possibilities like roasting meat, baking bread, cooking pasta and deep frying.
You won’t be disappointed with the ceramic surface because it really works as advertised by the manufacturer. The handle is made of high quality stainless steel and designed to hold the pan with a solid grip. You have to be careful though, the handle does get really hot when used inside the oven.The pan by its sheer size can get heavy when full so you better tighten your grip when handling it.
- Works as advertised. Food just won’t stick to it
- Versatile and multi-purpose
- So easy to clean
- Scratch-proof surface
- A bit heavy
- A lot of imitation in the market
Red Copper Square Dance Non-Stick Ceramic Cookware
If you want to score some points on a chef friend, the Red Copper Square Dance Non-Stick Ceramic Cookware is a worthy gift. Anyone who appreciate a quality cookware would at first glance know that this pan is a must have.
Your food will become fat-free because this pan doesn’t need any form of fat to prevent food from sticking into it. On top of that, this pan is guaranteed to be 100% free from PFOA and PTFE. Talk about healthy cooking, this pan is the best way to get there.
When cooking food that easily burns, take extra care because this pan heats up fast and evenly. While removing burnt food can be difficult with other garden variety pans, this one is so easy to clean. To maintains its health benefit, make sure to wash it with mild soap and wipe clean afterwards. This will ensure that no harmful chemicals are left in the pan.
- Multifunctional single pan
- 100% free from PFOA and PTFE
- Dishwasher safe
- Doesn’t come with a lid which is important for multi-purpose pans
Red Copper Ceramic Non-Stick 10" Cookware Pan
Talk about a pan to rule them all, the Red Copper Ceramic Non-Stick 10-inch Cookware Pan is the best contender. With this pan, you can cook meats, eggs, veggies and a host of other stuff without the need of other cookwares. This pan is just the right size, it fill a lot of gaps in the kitchen.
If you need to cook a lot of eggs for instance, the 10-inch diameter is just the right size for bigger preparations. But when the need to cook just for yourself arises, this pan is equally useful for the task.
The ceramic coating ensures that you don’t have to fight with the pan just to get it cleaned. Often times, all you need is a mild soap and warm water and its ready for the next use. If you feel like dunking it to the dishwasher, it’s also safe for it.
One caveat for this pan is that it doesn’t work with induction ovens. But this is a problem for most ceramic pans too so I don’t really count this against the Red Copper pan.
- Just the right size for most cooking needs
- The weight is just right even when full
- Easy to clean and dishwasher safe
- Does not work with induction oven. But this is a common problem with ceramic pans
Red Copper 9.5-Inch Square Dance Pa
For those who love the square form factor, another contender is the Red Copper 9.5-Inch Square Dance Pan. What I love about the square form factor is that its so economical in terms of space. When you just want to put a lot of food on your pan, square won’t disappoint.
The 9.5-inch square pan is just the right size because it’s not too heavy when full of food. It’s also small enough for smaller preparations. Just like its siblings, this pan is oven-safe up to 500-degrees Fahrenheit and totally PFOA and PFTE free. Make sure to use a decent pair of mitts when removing from the oven because the handle does get really hot.
- Square design allows for more space
- Right weight and right size
- Oven-safe up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit
- Use mild soap otherwise the ceramic will chip off
While most of these pans are multi-functional, the clear winner for this review is the Red Copper Non-Stick Ceramic Cookware Set 10 Pc. There’s just too many that you can accomplish with this set because it just opens up a lot of possibilities. Fry some eggs, saute some vegetables, deep fry some meat, you name it and there is a pan for the task in this set. Remember, this set carries the essential cookware that you would need in the kitchen and whether you’re a pro or a newbie, this set will find a good use in your kitchen.
If you can afford to sacrifice a little flexibility for the difference in price, the Red Copper Non-Stick Square Ceramic Cookware 5 Piece Set comes in a close second. The single but large pan can take most of your frying and sauteing needs and with a little creativity, you can extend its use in many ways. The square form factor is just awesome when you need to maximize space.
The rest of the items in this review are all good if you just want to have one item that you can use in many ways. The size and weight of these items just adds to its versatility. While a single pan can’t replace all the other pans in your kitchen, it just fills a lot of gaps.
So, have you used any of these pans? Would you like to share your experience? Kindly leave a comment or two in the section below.