Last update on 2018-03-19 PST - Details
I'm a health conscious gal, so I make sure that even when I make the most indulgent and rich recipes, I pair it with the delightful snacks that are both delicious and very beneficial for my health. I was doing some research on healthy ingredients and recipes I can whip up for my next experiment when I came across aloe vera.
I usually use this for my skin, but I was shocked to know that it was edible and had an excellent taste to it. So with its jelly consistency, I tried mixing it with my homemade yogurt, and I LOVED the thickness and richer flavor it gave me.
And with the many health benefits of aloe vera and yogurt, how can you not try making this for a snack? Read on to learn my Aloe Vera Yogurt recipe!
Aloe Vera Yogurt Recipe
This yogurt recipe is delicious and refreshing, with the unique flavors that go beyond the usual fruity varieties. It's healthy, homemade, and will be a hit with the whole family!
- Four cups of low or nonfat milk
- Quarter cup of low or nonfat yogurt
- 200 grams of Aloe Vera
- Half a cup of lemon juice
- Two tablespoons of sugar
1. Prepare the aloe vera by peeling one side of the aloe vera's skin. Then, cut it little by little, starting lengthwise then by width. Slice the whole aloe vera out of its skin.
2. Rinse the gel until all the sap is gone, then use a strainer to drain it. Let it soak in lemon juice for five minutes, then rinse and drain around five to six times.
3. Boil water and pour the aloe vera in, leaving it for 45 seconds. Drain and put in a bowl with water and sugar, leaving it for 45 minutes. You can make the yogurt while waiting.
4. To make the yogurt, heat the milk in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir it frequently until it begins to bubble just a bit and is under 180 degrees Fahrenheit, using an instant-read thermometer.
5. Pour the milk into a large container (fitting about six cups) and let it stand while stirring it frequently. Let it cool until it reaches 110 degrees Fahrenheit.
6. Mix the yogurt with half a cup of milk, then stir this mixture into the container with the rest of the warm milk. Drain the aloe vera then add the gel to the yogurt, mixing it until all ingredients are well incorporated.
7. Cover the container, wrapping it in a kitchen towel to keep the mixture warm. Place it in a warm area and let it stand until it's thick and tangy about eight hours. Then refrigerate it for two hours, letting it thicken in the fridge.
8. Serve and enjoy!
Pro-Tips To Follow
Here are some tips and factors you might want to follow:
- If you want to add a bit more sweetness to your Aloe Vera yogurt, then you can add honey after refrigerating it, mixing it well. It will still retain its consistency.
- Be sure to put this in the fridge if there are leftovers. Avoid letting it come into contact with saliva or contaminated utensils, as it will spoil quicker even when in the refrigerator. It can last for one whole week.
- To quicken the warming process of the yogurt, you can use the oven. Turn it on to 200 degrees Fahrenheit for five minutes and then switch it off. Put the towel-wrapped container and leave it inside for about two minutes.
When it comes to whipping up a delicious batch of yogurt as a snack, don't settle for just the plain flavor or natural fruits. You can now try aloe vera for a unique taste! With its impressive health benefits, you can try something new that you and your kids may love in the long run.
I hope that this article on my Aloe Vera Yogurt recipe helped you know how to make the perfect homemade yogurt suitable for everyone. So what are you waiting for? Start whipping up a nice batch of Aloe Vera Yogurt today and enjoy its goodness!
If you have any questions or would like to share your tips on making yogurt, then comment down below. I would love to hear what you have to think!